Skip to main content

Mindfulness Art Series

Mindfulness is described as "the quality or state of being conscious or aware of something; a mental state achieved by focusing one's awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one's feelings, thoughts and bodily sensations". I chose to call my series of cloud paintings Mindfuless because they enabled me to become more aware of my surroundings and the many  connections clouds have with the mind. 

How did it all started? 

How did I become interested in clouds? It probably started a long time ago, when I used to observe shapes in the clouds as a kid. But I progressively became more acutely aware of them over the past couple years. I believe the turning point was when I saw a cloud shaped like a question mark during a trip to Washington DC. Not only had I never seen a cloud shaped like that before, but it appeared while I had a lot of questions in my mind. Seeing this cloud at that very moment felt like a personal message,  a reflection of my own mind, encouraging me to keep asking questions and to look for signs.

Unbeknown's to me at the time, it is after that trip that I started to pay more attention to clouds. I was taking more pictures of clouds. I was even paying more attention to them, when I was sketching buildings, taking extra time to depict the sky in the background. It was as if, subconsciously I was slowly bringing them in the forefront. Meanwhile, as a closet artist, I had been longing for a more creative and fulfilling life. But I kept starting and abandoning many art projects, over and over again : Searching for the "right" topic to cover, battling between what I was curious about and what I thought would be successful.

This constant dance was very draining and never satisfying. I was afraid to step into unchartered territory. Who was I to start creating these elaborate ideas? Was I ready? Was it too early? Was it crazy? What would others think? I had tons of creative ideas flooding my mind yet I was afraid to pick up a brush and turn them into real paintings. So I avoided painting them for as much as I could and released the creative pressure by doing more sketches until that one day I found a large discarded canvas in the recycling room and I decided to bring it home and try to paint something big. In my mind, using a recycled canvas would be ok because if the painting didn't work out, I wouldn't have wasted a brand new canvas. The canvas sat on a table for several months before I decided to gesso it to start something new. And it took another couple weeks before I finally decided to paint one of my ideas on it. It was my version of an Orphic Egg, based on an ancient mythical Greek story.  I even recorded myself painting it and uploaded the video on YouTube.  


What a rush! I loved every aspect of the process: painting, recording and editing the video. I had finally done it. My first large painting! This gave me confidence to enlist it in a couple art contests and put it up for sale. But when I didn't get the same enthusiasm I had for the painting, doubt came back.  Maybe it was too big, maybe it was too soon, maybe it wasn’t good enough, maybe it was too weird. So I put the painting aside and went back to creating smaller more “normal” artworks. I retreated into my comfortable setting of making sketches in my sketchbook. But Something was missing. I kept wanted to paint more. So I decided to just pick one simple topic and run with it. As I was trying to figure out what subject to focus on, I finally realize that one constant subject in all my recent attempt were clouds. They even made an appearance in my first large painting and they were fun to paint. Why not spend an entire year painting clouds as an non-intimidating way to create more artwork? So at the beginning of 2017 I decided they were going to be my main subject for the year. As I started to paint clouds I became aware of a Kickstarter Project initiative called Make 100 to encourage creators to create more. This was the perfect opportunity to keep me accountable. So I enrolled and decided to create 100 small cloud paintings.

From 100 Cloud Paintings to the Mindfulness Series

Before the Mindfulness Series, there was the 100 cloud paintings through the Make 100 project. It was the perfect opportunity for me to complete an art project from start to finish and practice making clouds. It had a deadline and, if successful, people would be able to buy the art. To keep me on track and focus, I also limited my colour palette and proceeded to create 100 small paintings on 6" x 6" acrylic papers. It was fun to see them evolved as as I was getting more comfortable with the tools and the medium. I was also recording videos of the process to help fund my campaign. Unfortunately, the project didn't get funded, but I was already on a roll and I wasn't going to stop until all 100 clouds were painted. Having put so much information on social media about it, I didn't want this to be another abandoned art project, besides it was fun. In the end I was able to sell two original paintings at the time, from that series.

What you focus on grows

I think the first time I heard the saying "What you focus on grow", was from a speech by Tony Robbins. It certainly happen with my cloud paintings. What I thought was a simple idea, grew, and still is. As I completed all 100 cloud paintings, I realized that the cloud represented more then just clouds, they also represented thoughts and ideas. And that realization, brought new concepts to the surface: What if I explored cloud paintings as thoughts? What would various thoughts look like?  Different thoughts could have different shapes and characteristics? What if I place the thought clouds into different settings? What if I went a little larger? Now that I was done with the 100 small cloud paintings I felt comfortable increasing the size of the canvas to 9" x 12" and was looking forward to explore new ideas, and that's how the Mindfulness Series was born. I was less attached to the outcome and was more interested in what I would discover.

Popular posts from this blog

DNA Thought String 2

DNA Thought String 2  (2017) 9" x 12 " - Acrylic on 400g paper

Anchored Thought

Anchored Thought (2017) 9" x 12 " - Acrylic on 400g paper “The boat is safer anchored at the port; but that’s not the aim of boats.” - Paulo Coelho